Key Environmental Initiatives
We are avid environmentalists at our core, and not just through the work we do
Working with environmental organisations to make change
As a progressive, forward-thinking green space company that is committed to sustainability, we are avid environmentalists who care for our planet, and work every day to protect it in different ways.
While we know our work directly supports our environments, we also know how important it is to engage in larger scale initiatives to make a greater impact.
Skyline, one of our founding Australian companies, partnered with Greenfleet in 2021 to take climate action. Greenfleet is a leading not-for-profit organisation and Australia’s first carbon offset provider. Our impact with Greenfleet includes:
Our 30,000 square metre forest with Greenfleet.
- We supported the planting of 30,000 square metres of native forest on Djaara Country in Central Victoria to restore biodiversity and endangered temperate woodlands. The site is called Ngulambarra, which means “meeting place” in Dja Dja Wurrung language.
- These endangered temperate woodlands used to make up large areas of South-Eastern Australia, however since European settlement, major portions of woodland ecosystems have disappeared due to land clearing.
- Throughout the Ngulambarra project, more than 20 native tree plant species were planted, helping to reconnect habitat for many endangered or threatened wildlife species in the region, as the ecosystem becomes established. It also improves site hydrology and reduces soil erosion and salinity.
Carbon Offset Christmas tradition
- For the past two years, Skyline established a Carbon Offset Christmas tradition to celebrate with those we work with. In 2021, we offset the equivalent of many of our clients’ households for the Christmas month, and in 2022 we did the same for a large portion of our clients vehicles for three months. We sent the certificates (see attached) to our clients to encourage enthusiasm and excitement around how easy it is to help reduce your carbon footprint. We have offset nearly 1,000 tonnes of carbon over the past two years.
Planting Days with Greenfleet
- To ensure we are increasing environmental awareness and momentum, many staff were offered the chance to participate in planting days with Greenfleet.This included a planting at Ngulambarra.
Toitū Envirocare in New Zealand
- Our New Zealand founding organisation Recreational Services achieved Enviro-Mark Diamond Status through Toitū Envirocare in Auckland in 2008. This recognition has been extended throughout our other depots across New Zealand. Toitū Enviro-mark diamond certified organisations exceed the requirements of ISO 14001, one of the world’s best known environmental standards.
Carbon Reduction Certification
- In 2020, Recreational Services started the process of becoming Carbonreduce certified through Toitū Envirocare in accordance with ISO 14064-1. After completing a data-gathering stage to measure the current carbon footprint, a formal audit was conducted in April 2021. Following the audit, Recreational Services and Toitū Envirocare identified practical steps for each Council contract area to implement the journey to becoming carbon neutral and a Carbonzero certified operation.